Home

Monday 1 December 2014

A Biography of Lady Catherine Grey

Lady Katherine Grey
I am very excited to announce that my next book, if all goes well, will be a biography of Lady Catherine Grey, the beautiful and enigmatic younger sister of Lady Jane. Catherine's life was every bit as tragic and turbulent as that of her older sister. She was exposed to violence, brutality and heartbreak at an early age, and she herself died young, at the age of only 27. She was favoured by Protestants during the early years of Elizabeth I's reign as a viable successor to the throne, and in different circumstances, could very well have become queen of England upon Elizabeth's death. 

I am aware that Leanda de Lisle has written an excellent study of the three Grey girls. Leanda is a fine historian who writes beautifully, and I am looking forward to reading her work on Catherine. However, there has, as yet, been no individual biography of Catherine herself, which is surprising given her dynastic importance in the 1560s, as well as the personal turbulence and tragedy of her own life. I am very much looking forward to researching Catherine's life in depth, and I am excited to share with you all the fruits of this research. 

My first book was a biography of Katherine Howard, wife of Henry VIII. That covered much more familiar territory, and so I believe this project on Catherine Grey will take considerably longer. In view of this, it is unlikely that the biography will be published any time soon, but I am hoping that one day, in the not too distant future, readers will be able to enjoy my biography of Catherine Grey. 

2 comments:

  1. I am currently preparing a display in Yoxford Church about Lady C (or K-confusingly both are used). She died in Yoxford & was buried in Royal style in our local church. After some 50 years her body was taken to Salisbury but her viscera remain in the church. When will your book come out?
    Best, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, thanks for your message, and the display sounds fascinating! In regards to your question, I do not know - I have been involved with other research recently. However, I know that a magazine that I write for would be interested in publicising your display, if that is something you would be interested in.

      Delete